FINAL EDIT

Where it's at.

Well it’s been a good old while since I last posted here. Commercial work has been taking precedent recently. But my efforts in getting this book ready to completion have been steadily ticking away. I finally finished all the necessary drawings for pencil stage, leaving some design work still to do for the backgrounds. The elements for the backdrops can now be fully considered as I have formatted and reformatted the book several times ready for final edits to the structure. A second dummy book has been created at full-scale, I was quite nervous , having not seen all the book at actual size.

 Full scale dummy. 4 signatures of 4/5 spreads which helped to avoid the dreaded creep! 

Full scale dummy. 4 signatures of 4/5 spreads which helped to avoid the dreaded creep! 

I’ve also created a digital version which I plan to upload to issuu. This really helps with any final tweaks with the added ease of a digital page turner. The digital format has also been useful in seeing how I can present the book to prospective publishers, issuu provide an option to print, which is ideal for a good quality dummy version, if I need to send one out. It does surprise me that whilst going through my research, many publishers opt or prefer to receive digital submissions only. The fact that it’s going to be a physical printed product seems not to have much bearing anymore. Whilst I understand it’s probably down to volume of submissions, the effect of a book can be lost on the screen. The dummy books I’ve created have certainly thrown up many issues, of which I did not see on the screen. And have been instrumental to the design process.

So back to the book. The final page count was 64pp plus cover and end pages which are going to be hand-painted along with other many other parts of the book . During this last part of drawing, I had a rethink and added a section of 4 spreads that take Toulouse into a series of posters, all based upon a bizarre circus theme. I’d love this to be a pull out section or perhaps different quality paper in the book. The lettering is inspired by Henri’s own posters and each letter was hand drawn. Eventually these need to be created in vector format for the final pages. Glutton for punishment!

 One of the posters that feature in the centre of the book. More design development will be needed on these during final colour. The pose of Henri is taken from that famous photograph of him taking a dump! Perhaps I’ll illustrate a sparkly circus poo! 

One of the posters that feature in the centre of the book. More design development will be needed on these during final colour. The pose of Henri is taken from that famous photograph of him taking a dump! Perhaps I’ll illustrate a sparkly circus poo! 

As one.

I’ll soon be ready to ink. There is approx 200 drawings to do, plus backgrounds for many of the spreads!

I’ve been thinking about how to approach the work load. It can feel overwhelming thinking of each page and it’s components, both in a physical and mental context. I do work better when I approach a project as a whole. This is where processes play their part. But only in as far as I need to. My aim is to get the book  to an inked skeleton stage, so it’s ready for a more spontaneous approach for colour and texture. This is where hopefully the book will stand out. And be a signature to the project, a catalyst to many other books that I want to achieve!

 One of the spreads – check out link below for a quick shot instagram video of the book. 

One of the spreads – check out link below for a quick shot instagram video of the book. 

Until the there’s more to report – I’d like to thank you for taking the time to read and sharing in this creative process.

Instagram video of book here