Well this is the last post that’ll bring us up to date with where I am now with the project. It’s been pretty intermittent over the past year. What with picture-book commissions to complete, alongside setting up my contemporary painting studio (which is coming along nicely by the way) , I’ve managed to produce most of the drawings needed for the 25+ spreads. There are 135 pages of A4 drawings according to my Adobe Bridge file and counting! All of which have been scanned, cut out and placed into page designs. Using the original thumbnails as a guide in Photoshop, I’m able to scale and position each component and character separately.
I aim to produce roughs that are as close to finals as possible. In fact a better term would to call them black and whites. Being wordless, the layouts need to be very carefully considered when putting together. Each design must portray the right amount of information as well as keep a dynamic in the composition. This is why I put an initial dummy book together, so that I can see the book in its entirety and make decisions on edits, along the way.